Over time and with the development of technology, people are keen to know about Prebiotics and Probiotics. Both seem almost the same in pronunciation, but there is a massive difference. Both are capable enough to create a different impact on your health too. Moreover, it is the most researched topic in the field of nutrition today.
What are they? “Probiotics are beneficial bacteria, whereas Prebiotics are the food of those bacteria.” Both are highly essential for human health and play an entirely different role from each other.
- Probiotics are live bacteria present in certain foods and supplements.
- Prebiotics are certain substances that can be found in carbs (obtained from fibers). The human body is unable to digest Prebiotics as these substances are eaten by beneficial bacteria found in the gut.
What’s the difference?
- Probiotics are living bacteria.
- Prebiotics are nonliving food.
- Probiotics are found in the gut.
- Prebiotics are found in carbs from fiber.
- Probiotics eat Prebiotics.
- Prebiotics are unable to be digested; thus, they become food for Probiotics.
They are cultured in a lab, and once they are ingested in the form of food or supplement, they stay in the gut until they eat Prebiotics. Probiotics help in:
- Proper digestion of food.
- For nutrient absorption.
- For better immune function.
- For memory and mood.
Probiotics are of two types:
Anaerobic Probiotics can’t live where there is oxygen, so we need to take some Prebiotics for the survival of Anaerobic Probiotics.
They are obtained from fibers, and they stay in the digestive tract. Prebiotics are unable to be digested, so they become the food for Probiotics. They are food sources for trillions of bacteria, present in long chains of fibers that break down into carbohydrate sugars and provide a tremendous amount of energy. You can get Prebiotics, especially from leafy vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.
Now the issue is: How will you come to know that your body needs Probiotics, i.e., beneficial bacteria?
Here are a few symptoms; they will help you show that your body is in dire need of probiotics.
- Skin-related issues, including eczema, psoriasis, itchiness, rashes, etc.
- Your digestive system will be irregular.
- Metabolism will be a bit slow.
- Sugar cravings will be out of control.
- Also, if you have taken antibiotics (as they are killers of sound and harmful bacteria).
So, if your body shows any of the symptoms mentioned above, that means it needs Probiotics.
Health Benefits of Probiotics
- Digestion: Probiotics help in the proper digestion of food. They are also of great help in the absorption of nutrients. They resolve the IBS (Irritable Bowel Movement). They help in relieving constipation and diarrhea.
- Immunity System: Probiotics help develop more robust immunity; as the gut is where lots of healthy bacteria reside, these beneficial bacteria develop stronger immunity.
- Gut + Brain: Gut bacteria are also helpful in brainy activities such as they are beneficial in communication. They also develop many hormones as well as neurotransmitters.
- Promote a happy mood: Probiotics are also essential in promoting a hormone called serotonin. This hormone is the source of promoting happiness. Sometimes, when gut bacteria decrease, it ruins the production of serotonin, and in this way, causes anxiety and depression.
Health Benefits of Prebiotics:
- SCFA: SCFA stands for Short Chains of Fatty Acids. These are very helpful for the health of the gut. They promote good bacteria and kill pathogens (harmful bacteria).
- Fibers: Prebiotics are in the form of threads. These fibers are insoluble. They help in digestion by removing waste from the body.
- Immunity: Prebiotics are promoters of anaerobic bacteria, and anaerobic bacteria make immunity stronger, so that’s how indirectly Prebiotics make immunity stronger.
So, the question here arises, “What do you need, Probiotics or Prebiotics?” “Probiotics are good bacteria, whereas Prebiotics are promoters or food of those bacteria.” Your body needs both “good bacteria” as well as their “food” to work correctly.
Probiotics and Prebiotics can be taken in the form of supplement, such as:
- RMS Beauty Within Probiotic + Prebiotic
- Seed Female daily Symbiotic
- Bio Schwartz Probiotic
- Dr. Tibia Gut Meister
- The Nue Co. Skin Food + Prebiotic
- The Nue Co. Debloat + Prebiotic
- The Nue Co. Energy + Prebiotic
Foods Containing Prebiotics and Probiotics
The process that makes yogurt of fermentation. It has excellent health benefits such as stronger bones and helps in reducing diarrhea. It is also effective for patients with high blood pressure. It is made up of two types of bacteria: Lactic acid bacteria + Bifidobacterial.
Kefir is a beneficial probiotic milk drink. It is made by adding Kefir grains into cow’s or goat’s milk. It contains Lactose acid bacteria. Yeast grains look-alike cauliflower. It helps in the improvement of the digestive system and reducing many infections.
Sauerkraut is finely shredded cabbage, fermented along with lactic acid bacteria. It is used on top of the sausages. Its taste is sour and salty. It is rich in fiber, and vitamin C, B, and K. Make sure to eat pasteurized sauerkraut, as the unpasteurized one will kill helpful bacteria.
It’s a fermented soybean product. Its taste is nutty, earthy, and somewhat like a mushroom. It is used as a substitute for protein meat. It is rich in phytic acid, but once it is fermented, it becomes richer in minerals. These minerals are beneficial for health. Also, it is rich in vitamin B12, i.e., found in meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. It is a good option for vegetarians.
Pickles are formed by fermentation with lactic acid bacteria. They are sour and they improve digestive health. They are low in calories. They contain a significant amount of vitamin K.
So, Probiotics are live bacteria, and Prebiotics are fibers (foods of Probiotics). They are both highly essential for your health. You can take them via supplements or food. They are of great health benefits, and the biggest of them is the improvement of the digestive system. Other services include managing blood pressure, developing stronger immunity, and promoting a good mood or happiness. So, don’t forget to take Probiotics and Prebiotics properly for the betterment of your health.